Send your taste buds on a trip south of the border with this exciting twist on a classic recipe. Pure Vitality™ essential oils add a hint of flavor and spice to help take your enchiladas to the next level. Simple, filling, and delicious, this is bound to become a weeknight staple.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Gary’s True Grit™ Einkorn Flour
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Anaheim or poblano chiles, roasted and peeled; or 1 cup canned diced green chiles, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- 1 drop Black Pepper Vitality essential oil
- 1 drop Oregano Vitality essential oil
- 1 drop Lime Vitality essential oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and cover.
- Cook until onions are soft but not brown (about 5-6 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Clumping is okay.
- Slowly add broth, whisking constantly to smooth out any lumps.
- Add cumin, chiles, salt, and jalapeno, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sauce should coat spoon but still drip off.
- Remove from heat, and stir in Vitality oils.
- Add additional salt to taste if needed.
- For a smoother consistency, blend sauce in a food processor or blender.
- Add to your favorite enchiladas!